8 min read
- Most reputation management tactics are ethical because they seek to manage the available information about a company without deception.
- There are several ways that an organization can engage in unethical reputation management, including astroturfing, fake reviews, negative reputation website ownership, DDoS attacks, and generating false news about competitors.
Real reputation management involves knowing about, correcting, and balancing information about a person or company online.
6 min read
- Wikipedia will delete a page for a variety of reasons - mainly due to a lack of notability
- You partly control the odds of whether or not a Wikipedia article survives
- The right editors with the right approach in the right circumstances will increase your chances of keeping a page online
Why your company needs Wikipedia
Wikipedia is one of the Internet’s strongest and biggest websites. If you or your company has a Wikipedia page, chances are that page will rank high in the search results when someone performs a Google search. Whether you are developing a page for yourself or your company (frowned upon by Wikipedia), or creating one simply out of interest, these tips will help create a page that has a lower probability of being deleted.
7 min read
- A personal brand statement sets you apart from the competition.
- Effective personal brand statements are succinct, emotionally provocative, intriguing, and formatted with purpose.
- Personal brand statements are relevant to entrepreneurs, freelancers, and job seekers alike.
- Powerful personal brand statements answer the questions of who you are, why you’re valuable, what you do, and who you serve.
A personal brand statement has the power to define your professional purpose and allow you to stand out successfully in a competitive marketplace. Let’s take a look at the elements that can be used to craft a great personal brand statement and view exceptional examples that put those elements into practice.
5 min read
Tools used in reputation management campaigns
Online reputation management (ORM) tools can be broken into monitoring tools that tell you when a problem may be occurring. The second type of ORM tool is the kind that helps you solve a problem once it has occurred.
The vast majority of reputation related tools can be categorized monitoring / listening tools. Tools that actually help you improve your reputation focus mainly on improving online reviews. There are very few (maybe zero) software options to repair online reputation.
Truly improving or repairing online reputation takes a set of skills no software can match, although it may happen at some time in the future. We've broken down monitoring, outreach, and publishing tools below:
Tools for monitoring, outreach, analysis, and publishing
You can never understate the importance of your online reputation. From who finds you on the Web to whether they decide to do business with you, the image that is portrayed when your name or company is typed into a search engine holds significant power to harm you.
7 min read
Measuring the impact your corporate reputation has on your business
- Measuring the value of corporate reputation is important yet challenging.
- Corporate reputation is only becoming more valuable to companies.
- Measurement is difficult because corporate reputation is an intangible asset. It is difficult to quantify how people think and feel about your brand.
- One approach to measuring corporate reputation is analyzing a company’s stock prices, financial statements, and brand loyalty.
- Companies can measure customer loyalty by looking at their net promoter score, customer loyalty index, customer lifetime value, and/or repeat purchase rate.
- At the core of the challenge of measuring the value of corporate reputation is accurately combining the impacts of quantitative vs. qualitative factors.
There is no perfect formula for measuring the value of corporate reputation. While many researchers have presented theories, a brand’s reputation is still an intangible asset. We know it is important, yet it’s challenging to quantify because it focuses on how people think and feel about your brand.
7 min read
Business assets are often thought of as tangible things that provide service or value to the company that owns them, such as equipment, cash, raw materials, or real estate. But there are valuable properties in business that are not physical. These include patents, goodwill, and a good corporate reputation.
6 min read
ORM strategy after a problem occurs
Research shows that, on average, Americans tell 16 people about a bad service experience.
Reputation tragedies can range from negative reviews online to full-blown global media crises. While a media crisis may seem a bigger problem, bad reviews that happen over a longer period of time can be more problematic. Whatever brand sentiment crisis happens, a post-crisis cleanup can help bring consumers back.
7 min read
90% of the traffic your articles draw will be because of the headline - not the content that follows.
This is because few will see the content that follows unless the headline is good. That is where "clickbait" headlines come in.
3 min read
If you are a citizen of the EU, Right to Be Forgotten might help you clean up your past. If you are a US citizen it won't help.
If you live in the European Union or Argentina, you can use Right to Be Forgotten. In 2013, the European Court of Justice began to consider the right to be forgotten a human right. This means that, in certain cases, details of events can be removed from search engines.
4 min read
How Google Knowledge Panel can be changed
Google Knowledge Panel pulls information from many sources. It can be changed to some degree. Here's how.
The Knowledge Graph is a technology created by Google that shows relevant information about a search query in the upper right corner of search results. Results from Knowledge Graph and other sources appear in Google Knowledge Panel. To change the panel, change the information from where it gets its data. This isn't always possible, but sometimes it is.
6 min read
What is reputation?
As the asset that most directly affects the decision making of your competitors, customers, friends, family, coworkers, and everyone else your name comes in contact with, reputation is a form of power. It's also fragile. So how's a reputation formed, what does it consist of, and what's the basic theory around how to build or fix it?
6 min read
Not all online reputation management agencies are the same. They have different strengths, weaknesses, and strategies. Here's a primer.
Online reputation management (ORM) companies offer a broad range of services: from monitoring their clients' names and brands online to helping them create new social media profiles. Some online reputation management companies also engage activities such as monitoring online discussions about their clients, and using SEO and Wikipedia editing to help clients control their search rankings.
10 min read
SEO reputation management uses search engine optimization and other techniques to improve the way brands (companies, people, products, services, political entities) are seen online.
- 63% of your company value is based on your reputation
- SEO is a powerful tool for online reputation management, protection, and repair
- Every company should have a reputation crisis management plan, but only about one-half of companies do
- Smart SEO reputation management tactics can help get negative content off the front page of search results
You probably know that your corporate brand reputation is important, but do you know how important? As much as 63% of your company value is based on your reputation. According to a 2005 Economist Intelligence Unit report, reputation is the greatest risk facing global companies.
6 min read
Most "website reputation" articles are about spam scores, which is usually due to email abuse or a misconfigured DNS. This article is about how a websites' reputation is perceived in search and social results by people.
Improve website reputation
"Location, location, location" has become "first page, first page, first page"
Back in the day of brick and mortar, enterprising businesspersons would always say “Location, location, location.” Fast forward to our currently emerging heyday of global communications and pride of placement still applies, except the first page of Google has replaced 5th Avenue as the placement of choice.
Modern reputation management is everything to a business; the information your former and future customers have access to when they type your name into Google (or speak it) spells the difference between your illustrious business success, or obscurity, infamy, and failure.
5 min read
The Internet is a bit like a video game—if you want to win the game, you have to master the rules. And when it comes to search engines like Google and Bing, the rules are constantly changing. Coming out on top of the search listings requires ingenuity, dedication, and even a little bit of luck. From the perspective of a reputation builder, search engines look a little different.
31 min read
Online reputation statistics change regularly. This guide was last updated May, 2021.
If you’re like many brand management professionals you might lie awake at night wondering when the next emergency will upset your well-laid plans - take for instance COVID-19. We understand. The online reputation management world smolders with tales of tragedy, falls from grace, and salacious rumors that can destroy careers and entire businesses. As with any threat, a little online reputation marketing knowledge can go a long way. These facts and statistics should help.
6 min read
ORM is a relatively new concept. It’s based on enhancing trust and credibility.
Long before Google and social media brought everything online, businesses grew and expanded based on their reputation and how the market perceived a brand. Online reputation management (ORM) is a comparatively new concept, but it’s based on the same business principles: trust and credibility.
8 min read
You aren't the only one contributing to your online digital footprint. This article provides ways to protect your online profile from those who would do you harm.
What is online profile defense, why is it important, and how to get started?
- The online profiles of your company and its executives are vulnerable to attacks from multiple threats.
- Because online reputation has such a large impact on your company value, you must protect it vigorously.
- You can reduce the impact of negative content by fortifying search results with positive, high-quality content.
- Unhappy customers, bad publicity, competitors, disgruntled or former employees, and unmanaged corporate social responsibility can be vectors for reputation damage.
- In this article, we lay out the steps to protect your online profiles.
8 min read
- According to Andrew Lester of FreshBusinessThinking.com, “A company’s corporate reputation is the sum of all the views and beliefs held about the company based on its history and its future prospects, in comparison to close competitors.”
- Corporate reputation is arguably a company’s most valuable intangible asset.
- Underestimating the importance of corporate reputation can be fatal.
- A positive corporate reputation is very difficult for competitors to replicate or overcome and can have a huge impact on a company’s bottom line.
- One of the keys to building and maintaining a good corporate reputation is keeping your stakeholders in mind first and foremost.
- Corporate reputation can be molded by things like search engine results, the content on your site, reviews, news coverage, and public actions by your company and its leaders.
20 min read
Reputation management is the effort to influence what and how people think of a brand or person when viewed online. Put another way, character is who you are and reputation is whom other people think you are. Today reputation is based mainly on what artificial intelligence systems like Google portray about you rather than the first-person experience.
Reputation management goes by a variety of names:
Whatever you call it, the goal is to shape public perception about a person or business. This blog post will answer some of the most common questions regarding reputation management.