11 min read
Tracking down who is defaming you online isn’t always easy, but some tips and tricks can help. The key is using tools and strategies to gather identifying information about the anonymous poster. Finding their email and IP address is a good start.
- It has become easy for people to anonymously post false and damaging things about you or your company online.
- You can find out who defamed you online—even if they post anonymously.
- There are tools and tactics available to uncover information identifying the defaming person.
Who might be creating negative content about you online?
It’s an altogether too common occurrence. You see something untrue and damaging about you or your company that someone posted online. Anonymously.
6 min read
Reviews matter. They make your business more credible and directly impact revenue. No matter if you're a small business or a major brand, online reviews affect your reputation and conversion rates. They can make or break your business.
This is even more true as we continue to navigate tumultuous economic times. U.S. digital revenue skyrocketed a record-breaking 44.4% between April and June 2020. Now, more than $1 in every $5 spent on retail purchases comes from online orders. As more people continue to shop online, they’re also reading online reviews to decide where to spend their money.
7 min read
- Your company’s reputation is arguably its most valuable asset.
- 63% of your market value is attributed to your corporate reputation.
- The Internet and social media have made reputation insurance more vital than ever.
- Reputation insurance policies can be purchased individually or integrated into existing company insurance policies.
- Stand-alone corporate reputation insurance policies are designed to cover any financial losses that relate to diminished sales from a damaged reputation but come at a much higher price than an add-on policy.
Of the many things that we count on in life, our reputation ranks amongst the most important. Often directly linked to our chances for social success, reputation is the intangible standard that affects our personal and professional life in a very tangible way.
8 min read
What is a Reverse Wikipedia Strategy?
The Reverse Wikipedia Strategy is a framework to improve a brand's online content by imagining what an ideal Wikipedia page may look like in a year or more. Within a family of strategies used by Reputation X, it's an exercise for strategists and content creators to think about the best possible branded content.
6 min read
In a perfect world, removing your information from search results would be as easy as dropping a file in a cyber trash can. Unfortunately, the internet is a precarious place, and anything that goes "live" has the potential to spread to other sites and social media profiles.
Personal information to be worried about
It may sound a bit alarmist, but the truth is, you can't control everything that happens online. You may be (rightfully) worried if something very personal has been leaked on the web, including:
4 min read
Google keeps a pretty short list of types of content that it will remove from search results. One of which is intellectual property, including trademarks, copyright, patents, trade secrets, and other proprietary rights.
Here are some examples of what Google considers as commonly misappropriated copyrighted content:
- Cover art for music albums, video games, and books.
- Marketing images from movies, television, or video games.
- Artwork or images from comic books, cartoons, movies, music videos, or television.
Google search result removals have grown exponentially over the years. As Google indexes more content, and people rely on search results more, search result removals grow.
8 min read
Strategies to remove negative search results
Just about every company has something they’d like to take off the Internet. What if you could make it happen?
Removing negative content is not a quick and easy task, but it's almost always worth trying (so long as the attempt to remove it doesn't make things worse). Research shows that nearly 45% of people discover things online that change their minds about doing business with a company. If a potential customer reads even one negative review, they aren't likely to click your link or purchase your product.
5 min read
Defamation is the act of making untrue statements about another which damages his or her reputation
There are basically two types of defamation
- Libel: Defamatory statements printed or broadcast over media
- Slander: The same as libel, only spoken
To pursue legal action in either case, the plaintiff must prove that the defamation was malicious and unfair. A malicious act of libel or slander can only be considered malicious if it was untrue, or if it was put forward without a reasonable attempt to discover that it was true or not.
One recent example of online reputation damage that fits this description is the case of Nadire Atas, who allegedly destroyed the reputations of at least 45 people over a period of many years including one former employer named Guy Babcock. It took many years for her to be arrested by Toronto police where she was eventually charged with crimes including harassment and libel.
8 min read
A breakdown of rates and services from five industry leaders
- The cost of online reputation management ranges based on several variables and the great breadth of details within each variable.
- The best online reputation management company for you is going to be the one that specializes in your business size, your particular reputation situation, and your reputation goals.
- Cheap reputation management can offer temporary results – or no results at all - or worse results.
- Quality, legitimate reputation management requires investment in resource-heavy endeavors that can increase the cost but achieves better results, repair, development, and management.
Your reputation could be about 63% of the value of your business. But before you invest, you probably want to get an idea of what you should budget for and what level of repair, development, and protection you can realistically expect.
5 min read
Most people have no idea how a brand reputation campaign works. This lack of knowledge is frequently leveraged by shady reputation firms. Here is how to avoid the worst of it.
Online reputation management is a specialized field that requires a deep understanding of marketing, branding, public relations, SEO and a mix of other technical skills. Since online reputation management services are in high demand, many companies enter this industry despite not having the required skills. These types of companies attract clients by making big claims, unrealistic promises, and commitments they cannot fulfill. Naturally, they fail to deliver value, waste their clients’ hard-earned money and often cause more damage to their reputation.
31 min read
Online reputation statistics change regularly. This guide was last updated May, 2021.
If you’re like many brand management professionals you might lie awake at night wondering when the next emergency will upset your well-laid plans - take for instance COVID-19. We understand. The online reputation management world smolders with tales of tragedy, falls from grace, and salacious rumors that can destroy careers and entire businesses. As with any threat, a little online reputation marketing knowledge can go a long way. These facts and statistics should help.
6 min read
ORM is a relatively new concept. It’s based on enhancing trust and credibility.
Long before Google and social media brought everything online, businesses grew and expanded based on their reputation and how the market perceived a brand. Online reputation management (ORM) is a comparatively new concept, but it’s based on the same business principles: trust and credibility.
6 min read
Traditional PR is for press. Reputation PR dominates search results.
Want to crush a competitor in search results? Want to save your own brand online? Perhaps you'd like to simply cause that great article languishing on page five of Google to get more attention - you saved all those children in Africa after all! Reputation PR (Reputation Public Relations) is often technical for public relations that can be used as a shield, or as a sword, depending on your needs.
8 min read
You aren't the only one contributing to your online digital footprint. This article provides ways to protect your online profile from those who would do you harm.
What is online profile defense, why is it important, and how to get started?
- The online profiles of your company and its executives are vulnerable to attacks from multiple threats.
- Because online reputation has such a large impact on your company value, you must protect it vigorously.
- You can reduce the impact of negative content by fortifying search results with positive, high-quality content.
- Unhappy customers, bad publicity, competitors, disgruntled or former employees, and unmanaged corporate social responsibility can be vectors for reputation damage.
- In this article, we lay out the steps to protect your online profiles.
7 min read
- Learn from the mistakes of companies that have weathered reputation-threatening problems to avoid experiencing a reputation crisis.
- Every company makes mistakes. How you fix those mistakes determines whether they make or break you.
- By facing up to mistakes, addressing the concerns of your customers, and taking a proactive approach to solving problems, you can save your reputation.
- It is critical to face up to problems promptly, directly, and honestly.
8 min read
- You may want to know how to create a Wiki page for your company, but if you can't (most companies can't), consider a WikiData page instead.
- WikiData pages are automatically created when a Wikipedia page is published, but a WikiData page can also be setup manually.
- Studies have shown that Wikipedia content ranks for 99% of Google searches, but WikiData is used by search engines to better understand the subject, be it a person, company, brand or concept.
- Wikidata doesn't show up in search results directly. It doesn't provide any inbound links. So why do it? It's used by Google to better understand your business.
- Setting up a WikiData page may seem intimidating at first glance, but Wikimedia made it easier by creating an easy-to-follow, step-by-step guide to make one.
What is a WikiData page?
There’s a reason Wikipedia content dominates search engine results pages (SERPs): it’s credible, recognized, and very SEO-friendly. And when we say dominate, we’re not using that term lightly.
6 min read
Can Wikipedia be edited by anyone? Yes, anyone can edit a Wikipedia page. But those edits can be positive, negative, or neutral. If your brand, or even you, have been lucky enough to be eligible for a Wikipedia page, good for you! Wikipedia is highly visible in search results, confirms your brand as significant, and even feeds information to Googles' Knowledge Panel. But with all of the good that comes with a Wikipedia page there also comes the bad - again, anyone can edit most Wikipedia pages. Even haters.
8 min read
Google will de-index (remove) some online content
It may be possible to remove a web page or site from Google search results. But there's more to it than using the Google removal tool and submitting a request.
Most people think that what we see on the internet is there forever... but is it?
17 min read
It happens. Someone published negative content about yourself or your brand. Believe it or not, there are ways to get this content removed. Many tactics involve negotiation to get web content taken down.
8 min read
Are you the only person in the world with your name? Probably not. We work too hard maintaining our reputations to fall victim to someone else’s mistakes. This can happen if someone with the same name as you or your company is involved in a scandal or some type of negative publicity. The reputational downfall associated with their name can affect you since you share the same name and, as a result, the same search results.
Sometimes the actions that other people take can affect your own reputation in serious ways.
- What do you do when someone with the same name as you is involved in a scandal?
- How do you distinguish yourself if you have a very common name?
- What tools can you use to monitor what is being said about your name online?