8 min read
What is a Reverse Wikipedia Strategy?
The Reverse Wikipedia Strategy is a framework to improve a brand's online content by imagining what an ideal Wikipedia page may look like in a year or more. Within a family of strategies used by Reputation X, it's an exercise for strategists and content creators to think about the best possible branded content.
6 min read
In a perfect world, removing your information from search results would be as easy as dropping a file in a cyber trash can. Unfortunately, the internet is a precarious place, and anything that goes "live" has the potential to spread to other sites and social media profiles.
Personal information to be worried about
It may sound a bit alarmist, but the truth is, you can't control everything that happens online. You may be (rightfully) worried if something very personal has been leaked on the web, including:
4 min read
Google keeps a pretty short list of types of content that it will remove from search results. One of which is intellectual property, including trademarks, copyright, patents, trade secrets, and other proprietary rights.
Here are some examples of what Google considers as commonly misappropriated copyrighted content:
- Cover art for music albums, video games, and books.
- Marketing images from movies, television, or video games.
- Artwork or images from comic books, cartoons, movies, music videos, or television.
Google search result removals have grown exponentially over the years. As Google indexes more content, and people rely on search results more, search result removals grow.
8 min read
Strategies to remove negative search results
Just about every company has something they’d like to take off the Internet. What if you could make it happen?
Removing negative content is not a quick and easy task, but it's almost always worth trying (so long as the attempt to remove it doesn't make things worse). Research shows that nearly 45% of people discover things online that change their minds about doing business with a company. If a potential customer reads even one negative review, they aren't likely to click your link or purchase your product.
5 min read
Defamation is the act of making untrue statements about another which damages his or her reputation
There are basically two types of defamation
- Libel: Defamatory statements printed or broadcast over media
- Slander: The same as libel, only spoken
To pursue legal action in either case, the plaintiff must prove that the defamation was malicious and unfair. A malicious act of libel or slander can only be considered malicious if it was untrue, or if it was put forward without a reasonable attempt to discover that it was true or not.
One recent example of online reputation damage that fits this description is the case of Nadire Atas, who allegedly destroyed the reputations of at least 45 people over a period of many years including one former employer named Guy Babcock. It took many years for her to be arrested by Toronto police where she was eventually charged with crimes including harassment and libel.
8 min read
A breakdown of rates and services from five industry leaders
- The cost of online reputation management ranges based on several variables and the great breadth of details within each variable.
- The best online reputation management company for you is going to be the one that specializes in your business size, your particular reputation situation, and your reputation goals.
- Cheap reputation management can offer temporary results – or no results at all - or worse results.
- Quality, legitimate reputation management requires investment in resource-heavy endeavors that can increase the cost but achieves better results, repair, development, and management.
Your reputation could be about 63% of the value of your business. But before you invest, you probably want to get an idea of what you should budget for and what level of repair, development, and protection you can realistically expect.
5 min read
Most people have no idea how a brand reputation campaign works. This lack of knowledge is frequently leveraged by shady reputation firms. Here is how to avoid the worst of it.
Online reputation management is a specialized field that requires a deep understanding of marketing, branding, public relations, SEO and a mix of other technical skills. Since online reputation management services are in high demand, many companies enter this industry despite not having the required skills. These types of companies attract clients by making big claims, unrealistic promises, and commitments they cannot fulfill. Naturally, they fail to deliver value, waste their clients’ hard-earned money and often cause more damage to their reputation.
6 min read
ORM is a relatively new concept. It’s based on enhancing trust and credibility.
Long before Google and social media brought everything online, businesses grew and expanded based on their reputation and how the market perceived a brand. Online reputation management (ORM) is a comparatively new concept, but it’s based on the same business principles: trust and credibility.
8 min read
You aren't the only one contributing to your online digital footprint. This article provides ways to protect your online profile from those who would do you harm.
What is online profile defense, why is it important, and how to get started?
- The online profiles of your company and its executives are vulnerable to attacks from multiple threats.
- Because online reputation has such a large impact on your company value, you must protect it vigorously.
- You can reduce the impact of negative content by fortifying search results with positive, high-quality content.
- Unhappy customers, bad publicity, competitors, disgruntled or former employees, and unmanaged corporate social responsibility can be vectors for reputation damage.
- In this article, we lay out the steps to protect your online profiles.
8 min read
- You may want to know how to create a Wiki page for your company, but if you can't (most companies can't), consider a WikiData page instead.
- WikiData pages are automatically created when a Wikipedia page is published, but a WikiData page can also be setup manually.
- Studies have shown that Wikipedia content ranks for 99% of Google searches, but WikiData is used by search engines to better understand the subject, be it a person, company, brand or concept.
- Wikidata doesn't show up in search results directly. It doesn't provide any inbound links. So why do it? It's used by Google to better understand your business.
- Setting up a WikiData page may seem intimidating at first glance, but Wikimedia made it easier by creating an easy-to-follow, step-by-step guide to make one.
What is a WikiData page?
There’s a reason Wikipedia content dominates search engine results pages (SERPs): it’s credible, recognized, and very SEO-friendly. And when we say dominate, we’re not using that term lightly.
6 min read
Can Wikipedia be edited by anyone? Yes, anyone can edit a Wikipedia page. But those edits can be positive, negative, or neutral. If your brand, or even you, have been lucky enough to be eligible for a Wikipedia page, good for you! Wikipedia shows up high in search results, confirms your brand as significant, and even feeds information to Googles' Knowledge Panel. But with all of the good that comes with a Wikipedia page there also comes the bad - again, anyone can edit most Wikipedia pages. Even haters.
8 min read
Google will de-index (remove) some online content
It may be possible to remove a web page or site from Google search results. But there's more to it than using the Google removal tool and submitting a request.
Most people think that what we see on the internet is there forever... but is it?
17 min read
It happens. Someone published negative content about yourself or your brand. Believe it or not, there are ways to get this content removed. Many tactics involve negotiation to get web content taken down.
8 min read
Are you the only person in the world with your name? Probably not. We work too hard maintaining our reputations to fall victim to someone else’s mistakes. This can happen if someone with the same name as you or your company is involved in a scandal or some type of negative publicity. The reputational downfall associated with their name can affect you since you share the same name and, as a result, the same search results.
Sometimes the actions that other people take can affect your own reputation in serious ways.
- What do you do when someone with the same name as you is involved in a scandal?
- How do you distinguish yourself if you have a very common name?
- What tools can you use to monitor what is being said about your name online?
9 min read
What constitutes right and wrong behavior for online reputation management and public relations companies? It's similar to how ethics in the media are treated. There is a lot of confusion. We hope this article will help outline what really is, or is not, ethical in the online reputation management industry.
6 min read
Can you make a web page disappear from search results? Yes, if you have access to it.
You can make Google ignore a web page, making it "disappear" from search results, by adding a "
noindex"meta tag to the HTML code of a single web page on your site.
If you don't have access to the site, someone does. The trick is getting them to do it. That's where negotiation for reputation repair may come in handy.
When Google crawls the page with the noindex tag on it the search engine will delete the page from search results. This method only works if you control the website and have access to the HTML code of a page.
7 min read
The genie is out of the bottle. In this day and age, everything is public and visible. A plethora of information floats around the internet and trying to control who posts what feels like boiling the ocean. To make it worse, it takes so much time to build a reputation and only one bad moment to tarnish it.
12 min read
Many businesses focus on SEO, social media and content to build their online presence. One way to accelerate your online growth is to focus on growing your brand through citations and mentions. Both Google and Bing have indicated that they can track brand mentions and that they matter for search engine rankings. Duane Forrester, a former senior product manager at Bing, stated that unlinked mentions can be just as strong a signal as links for measuring a site’s authority.
7 min read
Remember when Donald Trump said "America should never have given Canada its independence"? Well, that was fake. Fake news has a long and storied history. Ben Franklin spread propaganda stories by creating a fake issue of the Boston Independent Chronicle. Today celebrities, politicians and everyday people are affected by it. Tomi Lahren of Fox News was recently quoted as saying "If you die in a mass shooting, it's not the fun's fault, or even the gunman's fault. It's your fault for not believing in God enough". She didn't say that either.
14 min read
How do you get something removed from Google search? Well, there are five ways to remove content from Google search - or to effectively remove it. Content removal can be a tricky thing, but this guide should help.
Five methods to remove online content: