10 min read
Content marketing is more important than ever. The Content Marketing Institute found that 46% of B2B marketers are looking to increase spending on content in 2022. It’s becoming just as essential in B2B marketing as it has been in B2C marketing for years.
4 min read
Google has loosened its grip on the types of information it will remove from search results. A new policy enables you to request to remove sensitive, personally identifiable data from search results.
5 min read
Is Wikipedia even reliable? Although the website dominates search results and offers a quick reference point for a wide variety of information, its user-generated editing model is often cause for concern.
6 min read
- Wikipedia has its own culture. Knowing the jargon will help you navigate the online encyclopedia.
- There are terms in different categories: about users, policies, creating content, and references.
It’s hard to overestimate the power of Wikipedia. While some other websites could have a bigger effect on your company’s reputation or SEO, few of those websites are edited by the general public.
To understand and leverage Wikipedia, you need to speak its language. Knowing these terms will not only give you a head start into working with Wikipedia the right way, but also provide insight into the politics behind it. Wikipedia’s jargon is in large part concerned with transparency: knowing who edits what and making sure each article is as unbiased as possible.
6 min read
(public relations) leverages online media and builds relationships with online journalists, bloggers, and influencers in order to amplify online brand messaging.
The internet has never been lacking buzzwords. A recent rise of interest in digital PR has critics, fans, and link-selling conmen struggling to agree on what “digital PR” really means. As you can imagine, each party pushes its own focus and corresponding language, creating a diffuse concept.
11 min read
Tracking down who is defaming you online isn’t always easy, but some tips and tricks can help. The key is using tools and strategies to gather identifying information about the anonymous poster. Finding their email and IP address is a good start.
- It has become easy for people to anonymously post false and damaging things about you or your company online.
- You can find out who defamed you online—even if they post anonymously.
- There are tools and tactics available to uncover information identifying the defaming person.
Who might be creating negative content about you online?
It’s an altogether too common occurrence. You see something untrue and damaging about you or your company that someone posted online. Anonymously.
11 min read
Wikipedia shows up as the No. 1 search result on more than 56% of all Google searches and appears on page one of 99% of all searches. Part of protecting your brand’s reputation should include making sure your Wikipedia page is protected.
- Some Wikipedia pages are prone to deliberate attacks of false information.
- To prevent fraudulent edits and vandalism, Wikipedia has various levels of page protection.
- There are 11 types of Wikipedia page protection, created to protect different types of pages in specific ways.
6 min read
- Your personal online reputation is the information people find when they perform a search for your name online.
- Personal reputation management helps you monitor, influence, and improve your online reputation and personal branding.
- To improve your reputation, you must find what information about you already exists online, compare that to the information found for highly-regarded colleagues, and create a personal reputation management strategy to upgrade areas where your information is negative or poor.
When someone searches your name online or using a social media platform, what are they seeing? Is it something you’d be proud of?
Personal reputation management helps you monitor, influence, and improve your online reputation and personal branding.
7 min read
- Your company’s reputation is arguably its most valuable asset.
- 63% of your market value is attributed to your corporate reputation.
- The Internet and social media have made reputation insurance more vital than ever.
- Reputation insurance policies can be purchased individually or integrated into existing company insurance policies.
- Stand-alone corporate reputation insurance policies are designed to cover any financial losses that relate to diminished sales from a damaged reputation but come at a much higher price than an add-on policy.
Of the many things that we count on in life, our reputation ranks amongst the most important. Often directly linked to our chances for social success, reputation is the intangible standard that affects our personal and professional life in a very tangible way.
3 min read
A reputation analysis examines the way online content reflects the sentiment of your brand. A SWOT Analysis can be used to better understand online brand.
A brand reputation SWOT analysis takes into account:
- Positive brand indicators (what the brand is doing right): A brand that is putting out good content will have some consistency in the way it's portrayed online.
- Negative brand indicators (what a brand is doing wrong): A brand that is putting out bad content will have a hard time maintaining a positive reputation if negative brand indicators outweigh positive brand indicators.
- Online reviews: Online reviews are a key indicator the online sentiment of your brand.
- Online mentions: Mentions on social media, review sites, or other authority sites reflect the sentiment of your brand.
8 min read
What is a Reverse Wikipedia Strategy?
The Reverse Wikipedia Strategy is a framework to improve a brand's online content by imagining what an ideal Wikipedia page may look like in a year or more. Within a family of strategies used by Reputation X, it's an exercise for strategists and content creators to think about the best possible branded content.
3 min read
If you are a citizen of the EU, Right to Be Forgotten might help you clean up your past. If you are a US citizen it won't help.
If you live in the European Union or Argentina, you can use Right to Be Forgotten. In 2013, the European Court of Justice began to consider the right to be forgotten a human right. This means that, in certain cases, details of events can be removed from search engines.
6 min read
In a perfect world, removing your information from search results would be as easy as dropping a file in a cyber trash can. Unfortunately, the internet is a precarious place, and anything that goes "live" has the potential to spread to other sites and social media profiles.
Personal information to be worried about
It may sound a bit alarmist, but the truth is, you can't control everything that happens online. You may be (rightfully) worried if something very personal has been leaked on the web, including:
4 min read
Google keeps a pretty short list of types of content that it will remove from search results. One of which is intellectual property, including trademarks, copyright, patents, trade secrets, and other proprietary rights.
Here are some examples of what Google considers as commonly misappropriated copyrighted content:
- Cover art for music albums, video games, and books.
- Marketing images from movies, television, or video games.
- Artwork or images from comic books, cartoons, movies, music videos, or television.
Google search result removals have grown exponentially over the years. As Google indexes more content, and people rely on search results more, search result removals grow.
5 min read
Defamation is the act of making untrue statements about another which damages his or her reputation
There are basically two types of defamation
- Libel: Defamatory statements printed or broadcast over media
- Slander: The same as libel, only spoken
To pursue legal action in either case, the plaintiff must prove that the defamation was malicious and unfair. A malicious act of libel or slander can only be considered malicious if it was untrue, or if it was put forward without a reasonable attempt to discover that it was true or not.
One recent example of online reputation damage that fits this description is the case of Nadire Atas, who allegedly destroyed the reputations of at least 45 people over a period of many years including one former employer named Guy Babcock. It took many years for her to be arrested by Toronto police where she was eventually charged with crimes including harassment and libel.
6 min read
It is possible to remove, de-index, or bury search negative search results
Software called bots scour the internet and "scrape" information from sites to be copied to other websites. This duplication of content is repeated over and over again and can be difficult or near impossible to remove, resulting in the information being displayed on hundreds if not thousands of these sites in addition to dominating Google search results.
If this content is negative or untrue, the problem becomes a potentially reputation damaging issue. These negative results can lead to a reduction of opportunities for both businesses and individuals.
While the information may have once been true and been published legitimately, it is often old news and can be outdated or even blatantly incorrect. Often burying (suppressing) the content is the only method of reducing its visibility in Google searches.
7 min read
The best reputation management strategies are proactive. In other words, if you aren’t actively managing your brand’s reputation, you are already behind.
8 min read
You aren't the only one contributing to your online digital footprint. This article provides ways to protect your online profile from those who would do you harm.
What is online profile defense, why is it important, and how to get started?
- The online profiles of your company and its executives are vulnerable to attacks from multiple threats.
- Because online reputation has such a large impact on your company value, you must protect it vigorously.
- You can reduce the impact of negative content by fortifying search results with positive, high-quality content.
- Unhappy customers, bad publicity, competitors, disgruntled or former employees, and unmanaged corporate social responsibility can be vectors for reputation damage.
- In this article, we lay out the steps to protect your online profiles.
9 min read
Corporate reputation is formed by various factors that shift public opinion over time. These factors include search engine results, news coverage, social media posts, reviews, and other public comments. Reputation work is essential whether you are currently in good standing or have suffered a blow. Irrespective of the activity that may have led to poor public opinion, it is essential that corporate reputation is protected to keep up with the pace of modern life.
9 min read
Online identity management is a collection of techniques used to create, promote, and protect the way a person or company is portrayed on the internet. Online identity management (OIM) often works as part of a branding or reputation management campaign to improve the quality and accuracy of the information that comprises your online identity.