7 min read
The benefits of a good online reputation include higher trust, better talent, less risk, and more profit. But the advantages of a good corporate reputation extend beyond that. Companies with good reputations tend to be treated better online - even given a second chance.
You can change your reputation over time. Just like reputations can be tarnished, they can also be repaired so that you can reap the benefits of having a positive online reputation. It's important, and it's worth the time to keep it in the best possible shape. There are countless benefits to maintaining yours, but here are the ones we find most important.
4 min read
Google has loosened its grip on the types of information it will remove from search results. A new policy enables you to request to remove sensitive, personally identifiable data from search results.
7 min read
- Creating a Wikipedia editor account unlocks more opportunities to increase your influence on the online encyclopedia.
- Benefits of creating a Wikipedia account include establishing an online identity, tracking edits, and communicating with other editors.
- You can create an account in a few clicks, but building it requires time and effort.
- Wikipedia has a game to learn how to edit!
An established Wikipedia editor holds a lot of power on the platform. Wikipedia editors in good standing enjoy a more significant influence because they can make changes that are way more likely to stick. Since Wikipedia routinely ranks in the top positions in SERPS, creating and maintaining an editor account is a valuable addition to your marketing initiatives.
5 min read
Is Wikipedia even reliable? Although the website dominates search results and offers a quick reference point for a wide variety of information, its user-generated editing model is often cause for concern.
10 min read
As technology is disrupting the way we live, our searching behaviors and capabilities are changing as well.
11 min read
- A business can sue if an online review is untruthful, libelous, slanderous, defames character, intentionally interferes with business expectancy, violates privacy rights or breaches a contract.
- A lawsuit is not usually the preferred course of action when dealing with negative reviews.
- In most cases, online reviewers are protected as long as their statements are truthful. In fact, in the United States, most states have laws that make it illegal for businesses to interfere with or manipulate online reviews. Canada also has similar laws.
Everyone has an opinion and that is no more true than online reviews. No one is spared from the judgment of strangers anymore. If you're a business owner, you might cringe at that idea – and then wonder how to change it. But before you reach out to your lawyer, take a breath. In most cases, suing the reviewer is usually not the best course of action.
3 min read
There are many services that track changes in search engine algorithms. Most track Google, some track Bing and Google or other search engines. Below are the top SERP fluctuation trackers.
11 min read
Wikipedia shows up as the No. 1 search result on more than 56% of all Google searches and appears on page one of 99% of all searches. Part of protecting your brand’s reputation should include making sure your Wikipedia page is protected.
- Some Wikipedia pages are prone to deliberate attacks of false information.
- To prevent fraudulent edits and vandalism, Wikipedia has various levels of page protection.
- There are 11 types of Wikipedia page protection, created to protect different types of pages in specific ways.
18 min read
What is reputation? Reputation is the subjective qualitative belief a person has regarding a brand, person, company, product, or service.
In today’s digital environment, reputation is more important, more pervasive, more unforgettable, and more meaningful than ever before. It’s surprisingly easy to neglect, abuse, reject, or even intentionally shred someones' reputation. Reputations, whether corporate or personal, can be difficult to build, sustain, and protect. Reputation damage can happen in minutes, doesn't need to be based on fact, and the blast radius of a reputation scandal can circle the globe within hours.
Also check out the article What is Reputation Management?
And although reputational scandal is at an all time high, the concept of reputation is largely misunderstood.
8 min read
- Improve your personal brand online by paying attention to what Google reveals about similar people.
- Online content gaps are missed opportunities at generating awareness and interest in your personal brand.
- A successful content strategy addresses customer’s needs at all stages of the buyer’s journey.
- A quick and efficient way to spot and correct content gaps is a best-practices analysis of your competitors.
Don’t be misled by the name. A personal brand is first and foremost a financial asset that generates sales, increases revenues, opens the doors to new opportunities, and enhances online reputation.
Like all other financial assets, a personal brand is an investment—success demands research, planning, strategy, and a diverse portfolio of communications and content.
Most personal brand advice starts with something about being unique, finding your voice, etc. But once you’ve determined what your unique personal brand should say, what’s next? What “content” portfolio do you invest in to build your brand’s value and positive reputation?
What will the canvas of search results reveal about your personal brand, and how do you get Google to show the world what you want it to see?
6 min read
Reviews matter. They make your business more credible and directly impact revenue. No matter if you're a small business or a major brand, online reviews affect your reputation and conversion rates. They can make or break your business.
This is even more true as we continue to navigate tumultuous economic times. U.S. digital revenue skyrocketed a record-breaking 44.4% between April and June 2020. Now, more than $1 in every $5 spent on retail purchases comes from online orders. As more people continue to shop online, they’re also reading online reviews to decide where to spend their money.
6 min read
- Your personal online reputation is the information people find when they perform a search for your name online.
- Personal reputation management helps you monitor, influence, and improve your online reputation and personal branding.
- To improve your reputation, you must find what information about you already exists online, compare that to the information found for highly-regarded colleagues, and create a personal reputation management strategy to upgrade areas where your information is negative or poor.
When someone searches your name online or using a social media platform, what are they seeing? Is it something you’d be proud of?
Personal reputation management helps you monitor, influence, and improve your online reputation and personal branding.
7 min read
- A personal brand statement sets you apart from the competition.
- Effective personal brand statements are succinct, emotionally provocative, intriguing, and formatted with purpose.
- Examples of personal brand statements include those relevant to entrepreneurs, freelancers, and job seekers alike.
- Powerful personal brand statements answer the questions of who you are, why you’re valuable, what you do, and who you serve.
A personal brand statement has the power to define your professional purpose and allow you to stand out successfully in a competitive marketplace. Let’s take a look at the elements that can be used to craft a great personal brand statement and view exceptional examples that put those elements into practice.
19 min read
“It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.” – Warren Buffet
Corporate reputation has so many facets, it’s hard to get all the information in one place. We’re here to remedy that. This corporate reputation guide will break down everything you need to know about corporate reputation:
8 min read
- Corporate image and corporate reputation are subjective perceptions that affect how people see and interact with your business.
- Corporate image is more about how a brand makes people feel, while reputation includes people’s perceptions of a company’s products, leadership, finances, social responsibility, and interactions with its customers, employees, and community.
- Both corporate image and reputation can impact a company’s revenue and success.
- Even if you have a good corporate reputation, a poor company image can hurt revenues.
- Incorporating image consulting into your reputation management strategy can improve your brand’s reach and success.
5 min read
Tools used in reputation management campaigns
Online reputation management (ORM) tools can be broken into monitoring tools that tell you when a problem may be occurring. The second type of ORM tool is the kind that helps you solve a problem once it has occurred.
The vast majority of reputation related tools can be categorized monitoring / listening tools. Tools that actually help you improve your reputation focus mainly on improving online reviews. There are very few (maybe zero) software options to repair online reputation.
Truly improving or repairing online reputation takes a set of skills no software can match, although it may happen at some time in the future. We've broken down monitoring, outreach, and publishing tools below:
Tools for monitoring, outreach, analysis, and publishing
You can never understate the importance of your online reputation. From who finds you on the Web to whether they decide to do business with you, the image that is portrayed when your name or company is typed into a search engine holds significant power to harm you.
3 min read
A reputation analysis examines the way online content reflects the sentiment of your brand. A SWOT Analysis can be used to better understand online brand.
A brand reputation SWOT analysis takes into account:
- Positive brand indicators (what the brand is doing right): A brand that is putting out good content will have some consistency in the way it's portrayed online.
- Negative brand indicators (what a brand is doing wrong): A brand that is putting out bad content will have a hard time maintaining a positive reputation if negative brand indicators outweigh positive brand indicators.
- Online reviews: Online reviews are a key indicator the online sentiment of your brand.
- Online mentions: Mentions on social media, review sites, or other authority sites reflect the sentiment of your brand.
9 min read
Sentiment analysis uses natural language processing (NLP) to identify and quantify the sentiment of text, video, or images at scale. It is most commonly used to quickly and efficiently identify negative reviews or articles online.
At Reputation X, we put over a decade of online brand management experience into every strategy we develop. Part of our industry know-how includes a keen mastery of the tools that can aid our clients in building, improving, and maintaining their positive online reputations.
9 min read
Make a big impression with your professional personal website
- A website that represents an individual in a professional context is a crucial reputation element
- Your professional personal website should include at least 13 essential features
- These five professional websites nailed their brand personality
- Investing in professional web development is the best way to make your website stand out
Your professional website does more than you might think.
7 min read
Business assets are often thought of as tangible things that provide service or value to the company that owns them, such as equipment, cash, raw materials, or real estate. But there are valuable properties in business that are not physical. These include patents, goodwill, and a good corporate reputation.