8 min read
- What Wikipedia says about you matters a lot
- Despite the setup of Wikipedia as an open-source program, not just anyone can edit everything
- Seeing who edited a Wikipedia article helps with transparency and understanding the power dynamics on a page
Wikipedia is one of the world’s most powerful websites. What Wikipedia says about you or your company can have a big impact, which is why many companies and organizations have tried to spruce up their Wikipedia pages - sometimes with disastrous effects.
8 min read
- Improve your personal brand online by paying attention to what Google reveals about similar people.
- Online content gaps are missed opportunities at generating awareness and interest in your personal brand.
- A successful content strategy addresses customer’s needs at all stages of the buyer’s journey.
- A quick and efficient way to spot and correct content gaps is a best-practices analysis of your competitors.
Don’t be misled by the name. A personal brand is first and foremost a financial asset that generates sales, increases revenues, opens the doors to new opportunities, and enhances online reputation.
Like all other financial assets, a personal brand is an investment—success demands research, planning, strategy, and a diverse portfolio of communications and content.
Most personal brand advice starts with something about being unique, finding your voice, etc. But once you’ve determined what your unique personal brand should say, what’s next? What “content” portfolio do you invest in to build your brand’s value and positive reputation?
What will the canvas of search results reveal about your personal brand, and how do you get Google to show the world what you want it to see?
8 min read
People try to exploit Wikipedia’s open editing policy to add false information, but the online encyclopedia has tools and volunteer teams to suss them out.
- Wikipedia uses powerful tools and a large network of volunteer editors to detect bogus edits.
- Wikipedia edits can be tracked by the editor’s username or IP address.
- False information is often quickly removed from Wikipedia.
- If you see false information on a page, flag the bogus content for a Wikipedia editor to review.
Wikipedia can be a part of your reputation management strategy and a great source of corporate visibility and marketing. But it also comes with some risks because it could include all kinds of information: good and bad. It is, after all, editable by the public.
6 min read
Reviews matter. They make your business more credible and directly impact revenue. No matter if you're a small business or a major brand, online reviews affect your reputation and conversion rates. They can make or break your business.
This is even more true as we continue to navigate tumultuous economic times. U.S. digital revenue skyrocketed a record-breaking 44.4% between April and June 2020. Now, more than $1 in every $5 spent on retail purchases comes from online orders. As more people continue to shop online, they’re also reading online reviews to decide where to spend their money.
6 min read
- Your personal online reputation is the information people find when they perform a search for your name online.
- Personal reputation management helps you monitor, influence, and improve your online reputation and personal branding.
- To improve your reputation, you must find what information about you already exists online, compare that to the information found for highly-regarded colleagues, and create a personal reputation management strategy to upgrade areas where your information is negative or poor.
When someone searches your name online or using a social media platform, what are they seeing? Is it something you’d be proud of?
Personal reputation management helps you monitor, influence, and improve your online reputation and personal branding.
7 min read
- A personal brand statement sets you apart from the competition.
- Effective personal brand statements are succinct, emotionally provocative, intriguing, and formatted with purpose.
- Personal brand statements are relevant to entrepreneurs, freelancers, and job seekers alike.
- Powerful personal brand statements answer the questions of who you are, why you’re valuable, what you do, and who you serve.
A personal brand statement has the power to define your professional purpose and allow you to stand out successfully in a competitive marketplace. Let’s take a look at the elements that can be used to craft a great personal brand statement and view exceptional examples that put those elements into practice.
19 min read
“It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.” – Warren Buffet
Corporate reputation has so many facets, it’s hard to get all the information in one place. We’re here to remedy that. This corporate reputation guide will break down everything you need to know about corporate reputation:
10 min read
6 min read
- Corporate image and corporate reputation are subjective perceptions that affect how people see and interact with your business.
- Corporate image is more about how a brand makes people feel, while reputation includes people’s perceptions of a company’s products, leadership, finances, social responsibility, and interactions with its customers, employees, and community.
- Both corporate image and reputation can impact a company’s revenue and success.
- Even if you have a good corporate reputation, a poor company image can hurt your revenues.
- Incorporating image consulting into your reputation management strategy can improve your brand’s reach and success.
At a first glance, a corporate image and a corporate reputation might seem like synonyms. There are definite similarities between the two: both your corporate image and your corporate reputation are important subjective perceptions that affect not only how people see your business, but also how and if they do business with you.
7 min read
- Your company’s reputation is arguably its most valuable asset.
- 63% of your market value is attributed to your corporate reputation.
- The Internet and social media have made reputation insurance more vital than ever.
- Reputation insurance policies can be purchased individually or integrated into existing company insurance policies.
- Stand-alone corporate reputation insurance policies are designed to cover any financial losses that relate to diminished sales from a damaged reputation but come at a much higher price than an add-on policy.
Of the many things that we count on in life, our reputation ranks amongst the most important. Often directly linked to our chances for social success, reputation is the intangible standard that affects our personal and professional life in a very tangible way.
5 min read
Tools used in reputation management campaigns
Online reputation management (ORM) tools can be broken into monitoring tools that tell you when a problem may be occurring. The second type of ORM tool is the kind that helps you solve a problem once it has occurred.
The vast majority of reputation related tools can be categorized monitoring / listening tools. Tools that actually help you improve your reputation focus mainly on improving online reviews. There are very few (maybe zero) software options to repair online reputation.
Truly improving or repairing online reputation takes a set of skills no software can match, although it may happen at some time in the future. We've broken down monitoring, outreach, and publishing tools below:
Tools for monitoring, outreach, analysis, and publishing
You can never understate the importance of your online reputation. From who finds you on the Web to whether they decide to do business with you, the image that is portrayed when your name or company is typed into a search engine holds significant power to harm you.
3 min read
A reputation analysis examines the way online content reflects the sentiment of your brand. A SWOT Analysis can be used to better understand online brand.
A brand reputation SWOT analysis takes into account:
- Positive brand indicators (what the brand is doing right): A brand that is putting out good content will have some consistency in the way it's portrayed online.
- Negative brand indicators (what a brand is doing wrong): A brand that is putting out bad content will have a hard time maintaining a positive reputation if negative brand indicators outweigh positive brand indicators.
- Online reviews: Online reviews are a key indicator the online sentiment of your brand.
- Online mentions: Mentions on social media, review sites, or other authority sites reflect the sentiment of your brand.
9 min read
Sentiment analysis uses natural language processing (NLP) to identify and quantify the sentiment of text, video, or images at scale. It is most commonly used to quickly and efficiently identify negative reviews or articles online.
At Reputation X, we put over a decade of online brand management experience into every strategy we develop. Part of our industry know-how includes a keen mastery of the tools that can aid our clients in building, improving, and maintaining their positive online reputations.
7 min read
Measuring the impact your corporate reputation has on your business
- Measuring the value of corporate reputation is important yet challenging.
- Corporate reputation is only becoming more valuable to companies.
- Measurement is difficult because corporate reputation is an intangible asset. It is difficult to quantify how people think and feel about your brand.
- One approach to measuring corporate reputation is analyzing a company’s stock prices, financial statements, and brand loyalty.
- Companies can measure customer loyalty by looking at their net promoter score, customer loyalty index, customer lifetime value, and/or repeat purchase rate.
- At the core of the challenge of measuring the value of corporate reputation is accurately combining the impacts of quantitative vs. qualitative factors.
There is no perfect formula for measuring the value of corporate reputation. While many researchers have presented theories, a brand’s reputation is still an intangible asset. We know it is important, yet it’s challenging to quantify because it focuses on how people think and feel about your brand.
9 min read
Make a big impression with your professional personal website
- A website that represents an individual in a professional context is a crucial reputation element
- Your professional personal website should include at least 13 essential features
- These five professional websites nailed their brand personality
- Investing in professional web development is the best way to make your website stand out
Your professional website does more than you might think.
7 min read
Here is a list of basic things to do when setting up a new Wordpress blog. This assumes you've already chosen a them and setup the blog, but that it may not have gone live yet. This article covers adding certain Wordpress plugins like Yoast and Schema, properly setting up Title and Description meta information, setting up Google Analytics and Google Search Console, content length, outbound links, simple ways to test speed, and more.
7 min read
Business assets are often thought of as tangible things that provide service or value to the company that owns them, such as equipment, cash, raw materials, or real estate. But there are valuable properties in business that are not physical. These include patents, goodwill, and a good corporate reputation.
5 min read
One incredibly effective method for making sure good search results outperform bad ones is to produce and share really good content (learn to make compelling content here and also here). Good content encourages engagement and creates more reasons for people to end up on your site.
6 min read
ORM strategy after a problem occurs
Research shows that, on average, Americans tell 16 people about a bad service experience.
Reputation tragedies can range from negative reviews online to full-blown global media crises. While a media crisis may seem a bigger problem, bad reviews that happen over a longer period of time can be more problematic. Whatever brand sentiment crisis happens, a post-crisis cleanup can help bring consumers back.
6 min read
When a brand wants to improve its online reviews and ratings, the right strategy will make all the difference. Some strategies are slow, others faster. Some work, others get you banned.
Online reviews are an excellent resource for consumers and businesses as they go about their buying decisions. Word of mouth has always been a key player in whether people opt for one product over another, and the wealth of online reviews and rating systems available today are simply the cyber versions of this phenomenon.